Thursday, November 20, 2008

How I make whole wheat bread.

After popular request, here is how I make whole wheat bread. But first let me say that it has taken me a while to master it. So, if it doesn't turn out great the first time, keep trying.

Ingredients:

1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees)
1/4 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 to 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons oil

(This makes one small loaf. I have been doubling it. I have a PC stone loaf pan. When I double it it fills the pan and rises up over it to make a perfect loaf.)

In my mixer, I put the water, honey and salt. I stir the honey around a little to get it to dissolve. Then I sprinkle the yeast onto the mixture. I let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then I start my mixer and add the wheat. I put in 3 cups of flour and the oil. I always end up adding flour so that it isn't so sticky.

This is where I simplify the whole bread making process. I set my oven to warm. I spray some oil in my loaf pan. I dump the dough in my loaf pan, cover it with a cloth and put it in the oven to rise for an hour. (I don't keep my oven on the whole time, but if it feels like it is cooling down too much I'll turn it back to warm.) After an hour, I preheat the oven to 350 degrees with my bread dough in the oven. If I have NOT double the recipe I bake it for 12 minutes after the oven has heated up. If I have a double batch in one loaf pan it takes about 20 minutes. Don't forget to take the cloth off your dough before you preheat your oven.

So there it is. Even my mom is amazed that the bread turns out so well. It is really so easy after you get the hang of it.

Let me know if you try it and it works for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marci,
I love your blog. I printed out your bread recipe and I will try it...
Love Millie from Lorain

(This is my blog)

http://2good4nana.spaces.live.com

Kate said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I'll let you know it turns out.

Julie said...

I have a loaf of your bread on my stovetop right now. It is so yummy, which I'm pretty surprised by b/c I lost count somewhere around 2 or 3 cups of flour and my oven doesn't beep when it's preheated so I sort of had to guess on the baking time. Thanks for the great recipe! I love the idea of doubling the ingredients to fill out the loaf better--it worked like a charm.