Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My grandpa -- Carl Probert




My grandpa died on July 2, 2008 after fighting for a year with that dreaded cancer.

The night before he died, my mom flew in and sat by his bedside. She talked to him through the night. She said, "Come on, daddy, let's take a ride up the mountain. Get on ole Trigger. Don't worry, he can take you. [Trigger is about as old as I am.] I'll take the lead this time, daddy." She talked him through the trip. The next day he died. They called to tell a dear cousin, Donny. Donny had gone to check on the horses that day and found one dead. Not Trigger, but ole Gus. Donny said, "All my life Uncle Carl has let me borrow one of his horses. Maybe this time he needed to borrow one of mine." Grandpa took Gus up on the mountain, then Gus took him right up into heaven.

I have been blessed with wonderful men in my life. Grandpa was one of the best. I'll miss you Gramps.

4 comments:

Susan said...

How sad to miss your grampa. I know...I'm still going through it. Hope you let me know how the song went. Thinking of you!

ginny said...

sniff sniff...i am so sorry:(

Mama Williams said...

Condolences. I have lot both of my Grandfathers and miss them dearly too. Grandpa's are special and I pray you'll still feel his love and peace in your heart!

Julie Robinson said...

I am sorry Marci, There are no replacements for grandpa's are there!?